1) What is UIMA?
UIMA is an acronym for “United Indian Muslim Association”. It is a non-profit volunteer welfare organization registered with the Registrar of Societies (ROS). It was formed in 1963.
2) What does UIMA do? What are the objectives?
Although UIMA is a Muslim organization, it caters to Singaporeans of all races. UIMA is dedicated to the promotion of goodwill, understanding and cooperation amongst the communities in Singapore. In particular, UIMA is committed to helping out the poor and needy through its various activities.
3) Where is UIMA’s office?
UIMA’s office is located at 587, Geylang Road, #03-01, Singapore 389526.
4) What are UIMA’s activities?
UIMA’s core program is the annual education bursary, early childhood education, moral education and cross-cultural dialogues program.
Education Bursary: UIMA’s well-known activity is the annual education bursary award. These awards are given to needy students, regardless of their racial, religious and cultural background. Poor and needy students from primary, secondary and polytechnics are given bursaries every year.
Early Childhood Education: UIMA also provides early education program through its community-based childcare centre. The centres are located at 276 Choa Chu Kang Avenue 2 and Block 714 Clementi West Street 2. The centre offers affordable childcare fees, and is generally aimed towards families who are poor and in need of child care services.
Moral & Good Citizenry Education: UIMA also runs a moral education program for some 200 students. The program is aimed at building strong moral foundation and good citizenry values amongst the students.
Cross Cultural Dialogues: Every year, UIMA organizes the National Day Celebration Ceremony program, with participation from Singaporeans of all walks of life. UIMA also organizes seminar and talks to create better awareness and understanding amongst the various ethnic groups of Singaporeans.
5) Who are UIMA’s Partners?
We are a highly networked organization. Our networks and grassroots connection help us discharge our roles and responsibilities better. Currently, our working partners include the following:
National Council Social Service (NCSS) www.ncss.gov.sg Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) www.mcys.gov.sg Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS) www.muis.gov.sg Yayasan Mendaki www.mendaki.org.sg Singapore Buddhist Lodge www.sbl.org.sg SINDA www.sinda.org.sg South West Community Development Council www.southwestcdc.org.sg North West Community Development Council www.northwestcdc.org.sg Jamiyah www.jamiyah.org.sg Federation of Indian Muslims (FIM) www.fimsg.org Muslim Kidney Action Committee (MKAC) www.mkacassociation.org National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC) www.nvpc.org.sg
(please scroll to bottom page for complete listing)
6) Where does UIMA get its fund from?
UIMA’s sources of fund are from receipts of its own program, especially the child care centre, and from public donations.
7) How the funds are managed?
All UIMA’s accounts, including funds received from the public, are audited, and subject to scrutiny in the Annual General Meeting.
Funds received from the public are also audited, with copies submitted to the relevant agencies such as NCSS and the Police Licensing Unit, to ensure that the accounts complies with prevailing rules and regulations.
8) Who can I call for clarification on UIMA?
You can call Mr Farihullah at 93856345. Mr Farihullah is the President of UIMA.
9) How to make donation to UIMA?
You can pledge your support by:
- Donating via Internet Banking at GIVE.sg
- Donating via Credit Card at SG Gives
- Donating via Cheque : Please complete the donation form and mail it together with the cross cheque made payable to United Indian Muslim Association to: United Indian Muslim Association, 587 Geylang Road #03-01, Singapore 389526
- Donating via Giro: Please print out the donation form and GIRO form. Fill in, sign and mail the forms to: United Indian Muslim Association, 587 Geylang Road, #03-01, Singapore 389526
- Donating by taking part in our online fundraising campaign. Please click here to view the current campaign. – Education Bursary Program
10) What is UIMA’s Education Bursary Program?
This is a form of financial assistance which UIMA provides to students from needy families. The bursary is awarded annually for the following purpose:
- To enable them to complete their education
- To encourage outstanding students to achieve scholastic excellence
- To promote a caring community
11) Who is eligible for the Bursary?
Students applying for the bursary must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or at least one of the parents must be a Singapore Citizen, and
- Be a full-time student of one of the following Institutions of Singapore:
- Primary School
- Secondary School
- ITE, Junior College, Polytechnic